Monday, March 31, 2008

Art Nouveau


Qualities of the Art Nouveau Style


  • Asian influence

  • Large animated figures

  • Unity of images, words and space


I enjoyed the works of Jules Chrett and Eugene Grasset. Chrett is known as the "father of modern poster" for his works, and I believe that name fits. I enjoyed to look at Orphee Aux Enfers (1879, fig 11-8) There is alot going on in this poster, it keeps my eyes busy, however it is not too much. The first thing I see is the person on the left and then my eye follows through the rest of the poster. Grassets work of the chapter title page and text page from Histoire Des Quatre Fils Aymon (1883, fig 11-13) interested me as well. I like how he made the image seperate the text, it is a new take on something that has been done. It also shows a different take on Art Nouveau, in my opinion.



Example of Art Nouveau


(outside the book)


Poster for "Paris Dances" at the Joyous Moulin Rouge, Paris
Giclee Print


http://artfiles.art.com

No comments: